Recently I have been quite keen to make some homemade preserves, as there are many times during the year where we find a temporary oversupply of delicious fruit and vegetables. Making my own condiments with local produce has been a little dream since the beginning of our whole tree change adventure, a rite of passage for the country life! The funny thing is I have returned home many times with large quantities of strawberries, plums and tomatoes, intending to preserve them. However, they have always magically turned into cakes or soups!
I had a few lemon and limes remaining from a cocktail night, so today I would like to share with you how I turned them into the most delicious and zesty Lemon and Lime Curd. What I love about citrus curd is the harmony between sweetness, sourness and creaminess of the egg and butter. I have refined this recipe a few times to find the right balance between zesty citrus and that lingering creaminess.
This Lemon and Lime Curd can be used as a spread on toast, pancakes, pavlova and tart filling. I find it most ideal as an accompaniment with light and buttery scones topped with a dollop of cream.
Lemon and Lime Curd
What you will need:
2 egg yolks
170g caster sugar
Juice and Zest from 2 lemons
Juice from 4 limes
150g salted butter (chopped)
- Separate egg yolks, finely grate lemon zest and extract juice from the lemons and limes.
- Whisk together the eggs, the two yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the juice and zest and further combine.
- Place a double boiler or a bowl over a post of simmering water. Ensure the base of the top pot or bowl is not touching the simmering water.
- Add the egg and lemon mixture and cook using low to medium heat, stirring continuously for 10-15 min or until thickened.
- Add the chopped butter individually and whisking the mixture in between further additions.
- When thick and glossy turn off the heat and cover to cool aside.
- Serve when slightly cooled or store in a sterilised jar and refrigerate.
- Test the lemon curd regularly with a little spoon when no one is watching, just to check if still delicious!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and have some fun making your own zesty curd preserve. Please note that I forgot to label the jar with ‘lime’, the featured curd is made from this recipe!
Smacznego and have a bright and zesty day,